Community Soalr - subscribers’ electricity bills

• KOHEE
  • Topic Author
More
13 Oct 2024 14:36 #13516 by KOHEE
Hi,

Are subscribers’ electricity bills in the Community Solar project netted against the electricity produced by the project?
Based on my understanding of community solar projects, if the credits exceed the electricity consumption, the excess credits are rolled over. I am curious whether SAM accounts for this scenario. (Or if it's not a bill rollover concept.)

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
15 Oct 2024 17:19 #13518 by pgilman
Hello,

SAM's community solar financial model represents the system owner's perspective, so it does not have any information about the electricity usage or bill for an individual subscriber.

SAM does report a subscriber net present value (NPV), which represents the value of the project to each suscriber class. It is the present value of the difference between the bill credit amount applied to the subscriber class share of the system's generation, and the subscriber class cost of participation.

Best regards,
Paul.

• KOHEE
  • Topic Author
More
19 Oct 2024 10:30 #13533 by KOHEE
I understand that SAM's Community Solar model is designed from the owner's perspective. When choosing the "generation payment" subscription type, any unsubscribed electricity is sold, generating revenue for the producer. In that case, what happens to the unsubscribed electricity if the "annual payment" subscription type is selected? The term "unsubscribed electricity" may sound a bit awkward, but I’m curious to know what happens to the electricity that is not used by subscribers.

• pgilman
More
21 Oct 2024 14:38 #13538 by pgilman
Hello,

SAM assumes that all of the electricity generated by the system is delivered to the grid, regardless of community solar subscriptions.

For the annual payment subscription option, the system owner receives the annual payment specified regardless of the amount of electricity generated by the system.

If an "unsubscribed" $/kWh rate is specified, the system owner receives a payment for the unsubscribed percentage of the annual generation in addition to the annual payment amount. The unsubscribed percentage is equal to the total unsubscribed capacity percentage shown under "Subscriber Share" at the top of the Community Solar input page.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman